Wednesday, May 13, 2009

*Burning Bridges of Yore*


www.swizzle.ca

An encounter with an ex got me thinking about my inability in the past and the inability of some people to burn their bridges all the way to the ground. Sure, sometimes its hard to let go and just move on, but there are times when it must be done. And so I contemplated why some people, again and again, refuse to do this. Why can’t they just let go, commence the proverbial “burning” and move on? If you’re going to make a decision, at least make a solid one. Don’t say “no” and then, bending under pressure from both inside and outside, decide that perhaps “yes” would be the best answer. It will only hurt you more and makes you appear pathetic. Make a decision and effing stick to it!

Now, I have in the past fallen under the category of not burning my bridges all the way down. However, that only led to greater dissatisfaction and remorse. It also pained the people i love and the people who loves me. Truly, if you have it in you to burn bridges, you should do it right. Ridding ones life completely of any outside nuisance or negative energy is ultimately for the best. Having taken the time and courage to eliminate those things, I find my life feeling much more free and I’ve loved in a way I’ve never loved before. I felt like a weight’s been lifted off my shoulders each time I eliminate something that wasn’t quite right previously, love-wise, life-wise.

Make no mistake, burning bridges does not leave one feeling empty or lonely. Each bridge you burn is replaced with a new, stronger bridge. Eliminating a friendship with a fake and an ex whose excess negative energies continually brought me down a peg on the mood scale, has led to stronger relationships with other old friends and my many new friends.

I find myself today in some of the best friendships with the best people I have ever known, and I wouldn’t trade it for Choos nor Manolos. I’m not looking back, I’m not asking “what if” I had just given in again. I’m looking at the present and keeping in mind the future, which looks so bright from this vantage point.

I have no regrets. My life is on the right path. I am moving slow but at least, in the right direction. My goals are clear and achievable. I have already achieved so many things, and many more are on the way. Slowly but surely, that is. I wouldn’t trade any of my decisions for anything in the world. Unless it’ll hurt the people I love so much, there will be no more second thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment