Monday, April 27, 2009

Which Way is Home?

This is for you, Marian. =)


http://mi.eng.cam.ac.uk/research/projects/Query/img/arrow.png

The scorching heat of the summer sun pricked my skin in an unimaginable way. The sweat running down my forehead was endless. It was the summer of 2005 in the Philippines and the 38 degree temperature was torture. A pang of sadness suddenly enveloped me when I finally realized that this is the day my Mom and Dad will leave for the USA, leaving me and my two younger siblings behind.

The trickling sweat were replaced with tears in the hope of successfully conveying the message to my folks that I want them to stay. I don't want them to leave our nice little abode, that in the fourteen years of my life I lovingly called, HOME. Separation anxiety was all over me.

Things were not bad when my parents left. But it was not as good as having them physically around. No mom to tell my wee secrets to. No dad who answers our hearts every whim. The sight of my parents checking in for their flights marked my memory and broke my heart. And how I wished their flight get extremely delayed just so I could spend an extra hour or two with them. It never happened.

I carried on with my routine. Go to school, go home, do the assignment and go to bed. Go to school, go home, do the assignment and go to bed. During the weekends and holidays, I watch the latest movies and play like there's no tomorrow. I never missed a phone call from Mom and Dad. It was hard, but me and my siblings are pulling through.

After two years of living the memory of Mom and Dad in the airport, my siblings and I found ourselves in the same airport, but this time around, as passengers. As the plane took off, I cannot help but give a small shriek of excitement. Finally, we'll get to see Mom and Dad! At the LAX airport lobby, I searched for two familiar faces and lo!, there they are, the two smiling faces of Mom and Dad! I cried tears of joy upon seeing them. Oh, how I missed them! I gave them the tightest hug and told them how happy I was to be reunited with my family again. I did not mind leaving our nice little abode because whichever way we go to, family is where the home is.

No comments:

Post a Comment