Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Repost: Ako ug ang Narsing (2007)


When i was seven, i used to dream big of becoming a hot-shot criminal lawyer. I used to imagine myself throwing strong words against puppy-eyed lawyers in my fashionably sensitive corporate attire.


When i was twelve, i practiced "the walk" that's supposed to land me a spot in an airline company as a stewardess drooled and worshiped by passengers. hahaha!


At seventeen, being the obedient daughter that i always am, i took medical technology per parental request. The very unappealing thought of just sitting down and getting to know poo-poo's and microorganisms disgusted me. after my sophomore year, I quit.


Now at twenty-two and still fabulous (bleh!), i’m a few weeks away from my graduation day! There were times that I wanted to quit and just be an OSY but thank God—I didn’t! “kaning cebu doc man gud, lisud-lisuron jud ang estudyante. Daghan kaayong arte!” hehehe.

nothing comes easy in NURSING, especially in CDU. I’ve been in one too many emotional roller-coaster rides in my 4-year stay in this college. Recalling those events made me cringe. How can I be so stupid in choosing a course that’s soooooo not me?! I mean nursing requires passion, dedication, hard work, efficiency and effectiveness—which clearly are not reflective of my being. I have never seriously studied for an exam since freshman year nor have I read a nursing book continuously, not until revalida. You should’ve seen the look of my MedSurg teacher when I only shook my head after being asked about ECG interpretations! Sh*t! Of all MedSurg topic! I never did understand ECG interpretations and I never even cared reading about it. So much for good luck, huh!?


So why do the “jump the queue” in the nursing bandwagon? For the dollars? For the land of milk and honey? For the American dream? HELL, YEAH! J But there’s so much more to nursing than that. There are things in this course that you can never trade for anything. Every once in a while after a hard return demonstration, a never-ending berating of an instructor and giving the wrong medication, you sit down in one corner and just let those hot tears flow down your cheeks. Then you realize that in every complaint of tiredness, every disapproving look and in every painful realization of a mistake, we LEARN. We learn not to complain but be thankful that we’re not experiencing as much difficulty as children in the streets do. We learn that sometimes, disapproval can mean, “go, vindicate yourself!” and we learn to be very vigilant in everything that we do so as not to compromise our future.

Yeah, Im not yet done with my requirements and clearances but I’ll soon be! I want to graduate and take with me everything that I’ve learned in this course be it in the prospectus or not. Hehehe. I may not be the most hardworking, intelligent or CI-friendly lass to ever walk the halls of this college, but I do not care! As long as the CDU-CN education and values are sculpted in my heart and mind, then I guess, I’m good to go!

If only I had known back when I was little that nursing and nurses exist, then I never would've had thoughts of becoming a lawyer and a stewardess. After all, nurses can be anything they want to be…all the other options await!

No comments:

Post a Comment