Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Flicks that Sticks

I am a movie aficionado. I can confine myself in my room for a week and relish in the various motion pictures my hands can get hold of. The intelligible joys the flicks give me is just so overwhelming. Like a child being handed her favorite ice cream, I bask in the simple joy of a great film. Movies gave me a canvas of a world beyond my imagination. Aside from the (movie) settings and locations that will take me forever to go to, I have shared with the characters all the known category of emotions each story tries to spin . Now that the Academy's just finished handing the Oscars to laudable winners, I am putting an archive of my all-time favorite flicks. Here goes..

1. American History X
*A brutal Neo Nazi skinhead named Derek Vinyard is tried and sent to prison for three years for the murder of two black guys who tried to steal his truck. When he returns from prison reformed, his younger brother Daniel Vinyard who idolizes him is on the brink of becoming a Neo Nazi himself. Derek must save his younger brother from a similar fate.

- One of the most realistic movies I have ever seen. Edward Norton was at his acting best in this film. The ending just breaks my heart at the same time, satiates the movie fanatic in me.



2. The Secret Garden
*After losing her self-indulging parents in an earthquake, a bitter young girl named Mary Lennox is sent to live in England with her reclusive Uncle. Eventually she discovers her bedridden cousin and a 'secret garden' that once belonged to her deceased aunt. With the help of her cousin, the kindly Dikon, and a little 'magic', Mary found a way to bring love back to her family.

- First released as a novel, the movie version didn't disappoint. Oh how I wanted to have played with Annie Lennox in that garden the first time I saw this movie sometime in 1993. Lennox's being a brat of a kid in the earlier part was sooo me! =)


3. Billy Elliot
*Billy Elliot is an 11 year old boy who stumbles out of the boxing ring and onto the ballet floor. He faces many trials and triumphs as he strives to conquer his family's set ways, inner conflict, and standing on his toes!

- This movie is simply entertaining and inspiring! Billy was so awkwardly cute with his ballerina costume on. But the moment he does the ballet, the world stops to listen to the beat that Billy dance. A movie about doing what you love most when all the others are against it, especially your own family.


4. The Count of Monte Cristo
*A young man, falsely imprisoned by his jealous "friends," escapes and uses a hidden treasure to exact his revenge.

-Originally a novel by Alexander Dumas, this movie, again, didn't disappoint. It has this magnetic power to talk you into watching the film over and over again. Jim Caviezel is a huge bonus as The Count! Love, love, love this! =)




5. The Village
*The population of a small, isolated countryside village believe that their alliance with the mythical creatures that inhabit the forest around them is coming to an end.

-This movie demonstrates how effective terror can be in manipulating at the same time, keeping people under control.


1 comment:

  1. Great list! 3 out of 5 ra nuon ko. Haven't seen American History X and The Village, but I'm a fan of Edward Norton. :)

    Can I add a link to your blog in my blog (http://throughscratchedglasses.blogspot.com)? I'm not active right now, though. Nagtinapol. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete